Friday, June 10, 2011

Blackwater, Mo

I found Blackwater to be a very interesting town.  At one time it was a stop for the Union Pacific Railroad, and as such, a town grew up around the stop.  That is very typical of many towns in the Midwest.  This one also became a bit of a haven for the, shall we say, unsavory types.  This town probably died a few times over a century or so, and there really isn't too much there, but the inhabitants are trying very hard to preserve what they have and to bring it back to what it looked like in those days of steam trains and saloon brawls.  You have to support any town that preserves their history.
Main Street, Blackwater, MO

Another view of Main Street

Main Street

This is a WONDERFUL shop in Blackwater
Called the Bucksnort, and the lovely owner, Connie Cunningham!

I spent a little time chatting with the owners of the gift shop in town.  Their goods are of high quality and of reasonable prices.  They had authentic goods made by Native American and local artists.  I could have dropped a bundle.  I have always wanted a feather headdress, I could have gotten the entire costume with all the chest and accessory pieces!  Sadly, the budget did not allow for it.

But, since I love to talk to people, I had a wonderful time talking with the owners Connie and Gerald, and Connie insisted that Gerald take me next door to see the Saloon Museum. 
Located next door, is the owner Gerald Cunningham's collection that 'got out of hand' as he tells it.
The Bucksnorth Saloon is a replica of an 1800's saloon.

On weekends you can join the singing and playing at this great authentic saloon display

The saloon hosts the locals who come to have fun, play music, and do reenactments.  I was shown photos of the 'gang' that are part of the events there.  A regular bunch of outlaws if every I saw any!
Bath or shave anyone? 
Not just a saloon, this place holds many other antiques.

This place has so many great items!
I was tempted to order a sasparilla, or something stronger!
I found the Saloon warm and inviting.  Gerald tells me that sometimes when he comes in that things are moved from where they were the night before.  He says that no one has seen anything, but he feels that there is something there.  I did not feel anything, but when I went to sit down at a table, I pulled out a chair and said "excuse me".  It just came out, I never meant to say that, and joked that I needed to push aside one of the painted ladies, but I wonder - - - - - - - hmmmmmmm. 
Can't you just imagine entering these swinging doors for a night of faro?

Blackwater and the Bucksnort are located off Route 70 in Missouri.
Contact can be made through:
http://www.blackwater-mo.com/
or 660-846-2224
bucksnort_trading@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment