Thursday, June 9, 2011

I am heading west for the summer!

Kansas Farmland

Get the Hell INTO Dodge! That's their official motto!
This adventure is starting in the trees and streams of Central Massachusetts, and ending up inthe trees and streams of North East Wyoming!

As I have reached the tender age of, oh, forget it, a lady DOES not admit her age, lets just say, 'mature', I have come to the realization that without adventures, life is dull and boring.  Definatley NOT a blog subject!  However, being a person who likes adventures, I have commenced a new one. 

This started two years ago.  That was when I had the brilliant idea that I wanted to work on a dude ranch in the West. This is not without some background, I have been into horse for my entire life, ridden, shown, even had the priviledge of putting 5 really cute Paint Horse babies on the ground!  But I really, really wanted to do the REAL horse lifestyle.

Needless to say, the opportunities for a woman from Massachusetts to get a job over, ah, say, some guy who rides RODEO, is kind of slim.  Therefore, I went about making myself a "bit" more desireable.

I got some certification:  as a riding instructor and a trail guide. CHA< Certifided Horse Association.  I did some additional skills learning under a really great guy, my mentor, who taught me how to train those realy cute Paint Horse babies I put on the ground.  Then I sent out resumes.  Got nowhere again.   I joined a website that matches horse people looking for jobs with horse people looking for employees.  the CHA certification got me looked at.  I got calls from people who offered me summer jobs at camps and training of youngsters!  I had interviews!  Super great!  Still not my dream job, but getting better!

But I had an epiphany!  When in doubt, use Craigslist!  I posted a "job wanted" ad.  Voila!  I was contacted.  And so the adventures starts.  I am going west to just outside of Sheridan, Wyoming (my number one preferred state!) to work at a private guest ranch!

More to come, I just LOVE traveling by vehicle across this great country, and I will tell you all the great things I see, AND, update you as soon as I can with pictures of everything, historical sights, and anecedotal facts, not to mention my search for haunted places!  And yes, I have found some!  OOOOH!  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment