Friday, June 10, 2011

The Start

One of my favorite things in the whole world is Craigslist.  How did I survive before I found this? I have sold all sorts of useless objects (to me) to people who were thrilled to get them.  I have found some great bargains, like the leather sofa for my hubby's man cave for $50.00.  I also met a very nice lady who shared my ride (and the fuel and tolls) down to South Carolina for my CHA.

So, I figured that I would get a rider to share my costs to Wyoming.  Or along the way.  I am a very tolerant person, most of the time, but some people are not happy no matter what you do for them.  the entitled group.  So, it wasn't enough to just drive that trailer out to Denver for someone.  Which, by the way, was NOT on my travel route, I took a detour for this deal. It was complain that I didn't leave when they wanted me to (I was clear up front when I was leaving) and it wasn't even acknowledged that I went 75 miles to HELP this person pack the stuff into the trailer and was not even offered gas, all I heard was that I was not holding up my end of the deal because I would NOT stay overnight in a motel (at my own expense, I am sure) and baby sit the trailer another night, and then drive it over to the storage facility where the stuff was going, wait around while it was unloaded (with a nod to expecting me to help) and then drive it to the UHaul place and turn it in.  (Yep, name calling by the other side) I agreed to pick up, drive it, drop it.  I did that.  That it was at my convenience, and not theirs, is the way it was supposed to go.  You can NOT plan the exact times when you are traveling, breakdowns happen (which it did to me due to their overloading of the trailer) traffic, it stops, weather, etc., etc., etc. 

I tell you this so that you realize that I still love CL, and will still do a rideshare in the future, the next time I will just be MORE clear with people who only want to hear what they want to hear.  Heck, there had been indications of this, but i had already agreed, and tried to make the best of the situation. 

So, when I tell you about my trip from Massachusetts to Denver, remember that I am towing a 6 x 12 foot UHaul Trailer that is overloaded beyond the agreeable and even acceptable limit.  Wreaks havoc on your fuel economy.  And wind resistance.

I had great weather the entire way.  Clear, sunny.  Nice travel weather.  Fuel costs were better than I figured, so I thought I would be above my estimate.  PROFIT!  Or at least not having to go to the emergency credit card. 

I would love to give you exciting tales of Mass to Indiana area, but heck, I don't have any. I have traveled that part of the country so often I kind of zone out.  Plus, a lot of it was done during the night, so you kind of loose the beauty of the country in the dark. 

At Indianapolis I started a little southwest towards Colorado.  Route 70 the entire way, except for my detours.  By the way, it was 91 degrees that day in Indianapolis. 

I was in Terra Haute Indiana when i saw my first dead coyote on the side of the road.  I had been seeing dead deer along the side of the highway for some time.  I now started the dead deer count to keep the ride interesting.  The count at this point was three deer.

When you travel the country along our highways and secondary roads, you find all sorts of wierd things.  Like the huge white cross next to the 57/70 Highway split.  Like maybe 50 feet tall?  No label, no church name, but just sitting out there all by itself.  Yes, we are in the bible belt.

I hit Kansas city in 96 degree weather.  That's a bit on the tepid side.
Historic Vandala, Mo saw pumping rigs on the side of the highway.  Oil or water?  I do not know. I also do not know why Vandala is historic.  Ad two more deer to the count.

Ad the American Farm Heritage Museum in Greenville, MO to the list of interesting roadside attractions.

I did see some very interesting road side signs, advertising Historic Blackwater, MO.  There was also the Bucksnort Museum in Blackwater.  Hmmm.  Now this intrigued me enough to take the side trip.

Main Street, Blackwater, Mo

I will be posting more about Blackwater, and the things I found there on my next post. More info and pics to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment